Professional Teaching Artists:
We are looking for professional working artists who can share their knowledge and skills with some fabulous New Orleans children ages 4-12. We want instructors who can join our established arts organization and help us positively encouraging students to experience and create all kinds of art.
Preference will be given to teachers who already have a proven curriculum that they have used successfully before. We teach a wide range of age levels so it is also important that you understand age appropriate teaching methods. But if you have some experience, great energy and honor the creativity in our young people we want to talk to you too.
EXPERIENCE working with children is a MUST for this job! Interested candidates should email a cover letter, stating your teaching philosophy, and a resume to email@example.com.
All teaching positions are on a contract basis.
Arts Education Camp Classroom Assistant
Upturn Arts is a fun and creative arts program that teaches children in the New Orleans area to explore and build confidence in themselves as artists.
During the summer of 2018, Upturn Arts will offer a 10-week program for three ages groups: 4-5 years old, 6-8 years old and 9-12 years old. The organization is looking for four (4) classroom assistants to work 20-24 hours a week for the entire summer. Shifts are 4 hours long.
This position is geared toward students of dance, music, theater, and/or visual arts currently majoring in arts education and/or preparing to teach K-12. Classroom assistants work side-by-side with the master instructors of Upturn Arts’ summer arts camp.
Camp runs in bi-weekly sessions, Monday through Friday, from June 4 – August 10 (with no camp on July 4th) from 9:00 – 4:00pm. Every Friday, young artists will take a full-day field trip (except August 10) and July 2, 3, 5, 6 in the mornings.
The sessions run:
- June 4 – 15: Superhero Camp
- June 18 – 29: Explore Nola Camp
- July 2, 3, 5, 6: Adventure Camp
- July 9 – 20: STEAM Camp
- July 23 – August 3: Recycle Camp
- August 6 – August 10: International Camp
- 8:00-1:30pm or 1:00-5:30pm, Monday-Thursday
- 8:30-4:30, Field Trip days
Classroom assistants must:
- Have completed high school (some college preferred)
- Have knowledge/experience of the arts
- Have experience working with children
- Commit to all 10 weeks of camp (vacation days are acceptable with proper notice)
- Attend the Upturn Art’s Professional Development trainings to be held:
- Tuesday, May 8 from 9:00-1:00pm
- Friday, May 11 from 9:00-1:00pm
- Tuesday, May 15 from 9:00-1:00pm
- Friday, May 18 from 9:00-1:00pm
- Able to pass a background check
- Have reliable transportation, or ability to use public transportation effectively. Upturn Arts is located at 1719 Toledano St., just one block off of St. Charles Ave and is easily accessible to public transportation.
Pay is based on experience.
The deadline to apply is April 6. Interviews will be held starting April 9 and positions will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to Alli Womac – firstname.lastname@example.org.